At St Thomas Aquinas we believe the Forest School ethos is a powerful approach which enables children to take risks and to help them become independent, self-motivated and courageous people which will prepare them to become lifelong learners.
Our Forest School learning environment provides opportunities for children to:
- Develop self-esteem
- Develop self-confidence
- Form positive relationships with others
- Develop a growing awareness of their emotional needs and the needs of others
- Learn to cooperate and work with their peers and adults
- Develop strategies in order to take risks within the boundaries of safety.
- Learn specific skills which link into the curriculum
- Develop knowledge and appreciation of the natural world and a forest environment
The children’s interests along with the varied natural resources found on our school site are used to stimulate creative thinking, problem solving and skill development, all under the premise of ‘play.’